What is fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that primarily affects women and is known to cause musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, insomnia, and cognitive dysfunction. It is described as a disease of chronic widespread pain and epidemiological evidence from several countries suggests that chronic widespread pain affects about 10% of the population [
Unfortunately, there is no cure or known cause for the condition, but doctors and researchers speculate the root cause is a disorder of the body’s neural pain pathways.
Fibromyalgia treatment is limited to pain management and alleviating symptoms. A combination of medication, stress management, and healthy lifestyle habits can help those suffering from the condition.
In addition to the latter, research shows that CBD can be a viable addition to available fibromyalgia treatments. Anecdotal data also suggests that CBD oil has helped individuals manage fibromyalgia symptoms.
"I have been using the balm for my joint inflammation and pain, in combination with the full spectrum hemp oil, and it has totally changed my life. I have not had to use pain medications since I started using these products, which is a huge thing for me. - Susan, Seattle, WA"
CBD and fibromyalgia studies
- Bedrocan (22.4 mg THC, <1 mg CBD)
- Bediol (13.4 mg THC, 17.8 mg CBD)
- Bedrolite (18.4 mg CBD, <1 mg THC)
Full spectrum CBD and entourage effect benefits
Research suggests that isolated CBD could have an effect on the symptoms associated with fibromyalgia. It is also important to note that CBD is much more powerful when the hundreds of naturally occurring compounds produced by the cannabis plant are preserved in the final product.
The mixture of said compounds results in a much more powerful product than CBD in isolation. This is because many of these compounds share similar benefits such as positive effects on inflammation, pain, immunity, mood, and hormones, allowing them to produce more benefit than they would acting on their own. This synergism of cannabis compounds is known as the entourage effect.
In a study published in 2015, scientists noted that isolated CBD was effective in mice against anxiety and inflammation at medium doses but lost its potency at lower and higher doses. When the mice received full spectrum CBD oil, the bell curve was inverted and the higher dose became extraneous. This suggests that you can use less product and a greater effect, thus saving a bit of money when choosing full spectrum oil over CBD oil.
In addition to the cannabinoids found in full spectrum oils, you’ll also find terpenes. Terpenes give the hemp plant its unique flavors and aromas, but can also function as a sedative, anaesthetic, dilatory, and more!
"I have ordered the body balm twice and will be ordering it again soon. I love it! The purity of your products is very important to me. - Paulette, Bigfork, MT"
Bioactive Body Balm
- Rahman, A., Underwood, M., & Carnes, D. (2014). Fibromyalgia. Bmj, 348.
- Berger, A. A., Keefe, J., Winnick, A., Gilbert, E., Eskander, J. P., Yazdi, C., ... & Urits, I. (2020). Cannabis and cannabidiol (CBD) for the treatment of fibromyalgia. Best Practice & Research Clinical Anaesthesiology.
- Fiz, J., Durán, M., Capellà, D., Carbonell, J., & Farré, M. (2011). Cannabis use in patients with fibromyalgia: effect on symptoms relief and health-related quality of life. PloS one, 6(4), e18440.
- van de Donk, T., Niesters, M., Kowal, M. A., Olofsen, E., Dahan, A., & van Velzen, M. (2019). An experimental randomized study on the analgesic effects of pharmaceutical-grade cannabis in chronic pain patients with fibromyalgia. Pain, 160(4), 860.
- Sagy, I., Bar-Lev Schleider, L., Abu-Shakra, M., & Novack, V. (2019). Safety and efficacy of medical cannabis in fibromyalgia. Journal of clinical medicine, 8(6), 807.